Enjoy eggs-ploring Winchester this Easter
Press Release: 25/03/2013
Winchester is hosting a range of activities during the Easter period for families to enjoy: from egg-and-spoon races to a trip on the Watercress Line and Easter egg hunts to hidden urban treasures. Full details can be found at www.visitwinchester.co.uk, but here are some of the very best things to do this April, regardless of the weather.
- The Winchester Bunny Hop returns to Winchester with a trail of lettered eggs hidden in child-friendly shops across the city. Participants can pick up the free quiz sheet from the Tourist Information Centre or download it here. Once you’ve made your way through the city to note down all the letters on the hidden eggs, you can crack the secret code at Winchester Discovery Centre (the last stop) to collect an Easter surprise. When Winchester TIC is closed visitors can collect the trail from the Guildhall Winchester reception desk.
Winchester Tourist Information Centre, Guildhall Winchester, SO23 9GH
- Take the children to Marwell Zoo for all things feathery! Visit the walk-through bird aviary, get creative with free feathery crafts and listen to fascinating talks. Children can take part in their Wild Egg Hunt and visit the Easter Bunny to collect their very own egg (Bank Holiday weekend only).
Prices, including donation, are £14 per adult and £11 per child.
29 March – 14 April 2013
Colden Common, Winchester, SO21 1JH
- Hinton Ampner is hosting the Quest for the Giant Easter Eggs: 10 giant eggs have been hidden in the grounds, and visitors can follow the clues to locate them and see if they can find the Giant Golden Egg at the end of the trail, and the chance to win their very own Easter egg! As well as the hunt, the Hinton Bunnies will be back in the house in their very best Easter outfits, and there will be face-painting for the children.
Admission is £2 per Easter Egg Trail. Gates open at 10am and last admission is 4.30pm.
29 March – 1 April
Bramdean, Alresford, Hampshire, SO24 0LA
- Thomas & Friends return to the Watercress Line for more family fun. Visitors can see Toad, Diesel, Bulgy, George and of course, Thomas the Tank Engine. The journey includes free activity sheets, stickers, an Engineer’s Certificate for children, a bouncy castle slide and free rides with Thomas, Diesel and Toad at Ropley station.
Advance tickets are £15 per adult and £9 per child (aged 2-16 years). Children under two ride for free. Family ticket (two adults and two children) £46.
29 March – 7 April
The Railway Station, New Alresford, Hampshire SO24 9PG
- Join the Winchester Tourist Guides for some entertaining Easter excursions. With spring here now is the time to find out all those things people didn’t know about Winchester.
Tours £4.50 per adult, children free.
For full details on various tours and where they begin visit www.winchestertouristguides.com
If the weather is bleak and cold, there are also plenty of options to enjoy the best of the Easter season’s entertainments indoors:
- Winchester City Museum is hosting the LEGO Mania Model competition, your opportunity to build a model that may be picked for display at one of the participating venues, and even win some LEGO! There are two categories: 12 years and under or 13 years and over. Deadline is 12 April.
The City Museum, The Square, Winchester and the Westgate, The High Street, Winchester, SO23 9ES
- It’s the 200th anniversary of the publication of Pride and Prejudice, and Jane Austen’s House Museum will be offering a daily Easter chicken hunt. Visitors can help Mrs Austen find her chicks and claim a small prize (50p per hunt). On 1 April there will be scenes from Pride and Prejudice performed in the garden by small theatre company, Ruffled Umbrella. The scenes will be at various points throughout the day.
Admission prices are £7.50 per adult and £2.50 per child.
29 March – 7 April 2013
Chawton, Alton, Hampshire, GU34 1SD
- Winchester City Mill has fun for all the family with themed quizzes and trails through the Easter Holidays, including Easter Cadbury’s Egg trail. On Saturday 30 March there will be a Seasonal Baking Demonstration of an Easter favourite, hot-cross buns. Learn how to make and sample delicious baked treats, as well as discovering how the fresh milled stone-ground flour can be combined with a wide variety of locally grown produce to make delicious hot-cross buns.
Admission is free.
29 March – 7 April 2013
Bridge Street, Winchester. SO23 8EJ
- Join the Winchester Cathedral Easter Chocolate Workshop and make your own mini Easter eggs in a fun family workshop. Decorate a chocolate lolly and learn how chocolate is made from bean to bar. Run by the talented staff from Chocolate Craft in Alresford, who will give you all the help you need to make your own chocolate treats for Easter. All ingredients and packaging included.
Tickets £13.50 per child (over eight) and £5 per adult (free gift included). Each child must be accompanied by an adult (max three children per adult).
Saturday 23 March
9 The Close, Winchester, Hampshire. SO23 9LS
- Morn Hill Brasserie is offering a three-course lunch to celebrate Easter, with each child present receiving a free Easter egg.
Lunch is £19.95 per adult and £9.95 per child under 12 years.
Morn Hill Brasserie, Holiday Inn Winchester, Telegraph Way, Winchester, SO21 1HZ
- Discover an altogether different Easter at Lainston House Hotel - scrumptious Easter Sunday Lunch and afternoon teas, both including a complimentary Falconry display and the opportunity to take part in the Easter Egg treasure hunt around the grounds after lunch.
Lunch is £35 per person and Afternoon Tea is £23 per person.
Sparsholt, Winchester, Hampshire, SO21 2LT
- The Theatre Royal Winchester is proud to present Tiddler, a magical collection of Julia Donaldson’s most popular titles brought to the stage by the team that brought you Aesop’s Fables, Stick Man and Private Peaceful. The tales are woven together with live music, songs, puppets and a host of colourful characters who promise to delight.
Family ticket, £36.
Thursday 4 April – Saturday 6 May
Theatre Royal, Jewry Street, Winchester, SO23 8SB