Winchester Celebrates Talented Sporting Stars for Sixth Year
Press Release: 10/12/2013
The Winchester District Sport and Physical Activity Alliance (SPAA) held its sixth annual sports awards at Guildhall Winchester on Thursday 5 December.
On the night there were 14 different awards with special presentations that aimed to recognise publicly the commitment and excellence of coaches, volunteers, sportsmen and women across the Winchester District and celebrate their successes over the past year.
Outgoing SPAA chairperson Stuart Barlow hosted the evening which saw over 175 attendees pack the Guildhall along with award sponsors, Lloyds Bank, Winchester Physiotherapy, the University of Winchester, Winchester City Council, Sport Hampshire & IOW, Sparsholt College and DC Leisure to rejoice in individuals’ success stories on both local and national levels.
The audience was treated to a very special guest; Dorset’s most decorated athlete, six time Paralympic cycling Gold Medalist and holder of five World Records, Darren Kenny. Darren was interviewed by Stuart to start the evening and then presented the awards to each winner. After the interval he was also on hand to answer questions from the crowd, which included his in depth training regime and passion for other sports which include biathlon!
Cllr Rob Humby, Deputy Leader at Winchester City Council with portfolio responsibilities for Sport said:
It has been a fantastic event tonight, we’ve managed to celebrate the successes of our athletes and recognise all of the time and effort local coaches and volunteers put in to make a sporting difference in our District. I would like to personally thank those involved, winners and highly commended, as they have again shown how fantastic sport is in Winchester!
Stuart Barlow, Chair of the Winchester District SPAA, added:
In the last year the SPAA has seen the launch of its five year strategy and is now on the way to ensuring a local legacy for the Olympics is delivered. We have worked hard to offer events and opportunities at a grassroots level that encourage people of all ages to be more active. One noteworthy achievement is the 150% increase in disability sports opportunities since the creation of our sub group the Winchester District Disability Sports Forum.
Nominations for the Sport Hampshire & IOW county awards are now open where all Winchester winners will be put forward to hopefully receive even more accolades!
This year's winners were:
- Junior Sportsman – Jacob Farren-Price - Sailing Sponsored by Sparsholt College
- Junior Male Volunteer – Jack Messenger - Athletics
- Junior Female Volunteer – Olivia Probert - Netball
- Primary School Team of the Year – Sparsholt Primary Year 3 & 4 Football Team
- Secondary School Team of the Year – Winchester College Judo Squad Sponsored by the University of Winchester
- Junior Team – Squall Netball Club Sponsored By Winchester Physiotherapy
- Senior Sportswoman – India Lee – Triathlon
- Masters Sportsman – Alan Murchison – Duathlon
- Masters Sportswoman – Lindsey Andrews - Karate
- Outstanding Personal Achievement – Ben Leung – Multi Sport
- Coach of the Year – Eddie Owusu - Basketball Sponsored by DC Leisure
- Senior Volunteer – Paddy Shephard – Table Tennis Sponsored by Lloyds Bank PLC
- Senior Team – Winchester Rugby Club 1st XV - Rugby Sponsored by Winchester City Council
- Club of the Year – Winchester Rugby Club – Rugby Sponsored by Sport Hampshire & IOW
For further information about the event, how you could sponsor an award or nominate someone for next years celebrations please contact Chris Peach, Sports Development Manager on 01962 848532 or email email@example.com
View the photos from the event on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10151761035112038.1073741836.111176592037&type=3