‘Sparklers Losers Club’ Launch
Press Release: 26/04/2011
A new weight loss group is being launched in Winnall at ‘Sparklers’, a Sure Start Children’s Centre managed by Hampshire County Council. ‘Sparklers Losers Club’ is a fun, informal club which will give support to local residents who are looking to lose weight and adopt a healthier lifestyle.
The group is unlike the more traditional weight loss groups in that:
- It’s completely free! No joining fee and no weekly fee to weigh
- You can pop in and weigh on a day and time that suits you
- We won’t advocate any specific diet plan; we will provide information on healthy eating so you can make your own choices to fit in with your family likes and dislikes and your lifestyle
- You will have use of our state of the art scales to not only monitor your weight but also to measure your percentage body fat, bone density and find out whether you are dehydrated
- There will be specialist talks from health and fitness professionals on a regular basis
It was Diana Earnshaw, one of the admin assistants at Sparklers who came up with the idea of a weight loss group along with a lady called Marie Gaunt. Marie has been coming along to the centre for a weigh-in every week since the beginning of the year and has lost 2.5 stone. She comments “the club has been set up to be friendly and welcoming whereby everyone encourages each other to exercise and eat healthily. Since losing weight I have more energy, I am happier in myself and more able to cope with family life”.
The group was launched at the beginning of April at the children’s centre (next to Winnall Community Centre on Garbett Road). New participants have received welcome packs and discussed healthy eating, exercise and goal setting with Lydia Lockhart, Winchester City Council’s Active Lifestyles Officer and Claire Madigan, Hampshire County Council’s Healthy Weight Coordinator.
Amanda Ford, Head of Sport and Physical Activity at Winchester City Council comments, “This club offers guidance and support to local residents who are looking to become healthier and lose weight but aren’t sure how to get started”.
For further information about ‘Sparklers Losers Club’ please contact Di Earnshaw on 01962 861 403 or email email@example.com