Severe weather - Be prepared
There is a strong possibility of severe weather this winter throughout the District and residents are being urged to be prepared.
Service Disruption - this page will be updated with information on disruption to services.
Follow us on Twitter and Facebook for updates during periods of severe weather.
For detailed information about local and national weather visit the Met Office website
Alternatively tune in to local news and local radio stations.
Roads and Salting Information
Hampshire County Council, as the Highway Authority, are responsible for the most part for salting and clearing the roads in the District. There is a wealth of information on their website including:
- An Interactive Salting Route Map - this allows you to enter a place name or post code to see the salting priority of roads near you.
- List of Roads affected by severe weather
- General information about Snow, Ice and Road Salting
Community Grit Bins - Hampshire County Council supply community grit bins, to get your local grit bin refilled call 0845 603 5633 (call charges apply)
There is some great information and advice on the DirectGov website about staying warm this winter
If the weather does become severe, road users are warned to only travel absolutely neccessary. If you have to travel though there are a few simple steps you can take to reduce the risk of getting caught out:
- Vehicle checks - insure your tyres are inflated to the correct levels and replace if the tread is below the legal minimum; check and replace anti-freeze; and check your lights.
- Carry an emergency kit - ice scrapper; torch; jump leads; a blanket; a shovel; and some food and drink if there is any risk of getting stuck.
- Drive smart - adapt your driving to suit the conditions and remember not all ice patches are visible.
- Check traffic and weather before you set out - plan your journey including alternative routes.
For more information on driving in severe weather visit the Highways Agency website .
For updates on whats happening on local roads visit the websites listed below.
Visit the Bus Company websites (below) for information on service disruption on periods of severe weather.
As the education authority for the area, Hampshire County Council provides information about School closures. Visit the new School Closure section of their website to check for or report a closure.