Open Up & Lighten Up Winchester
Press Release: 02/09/2008
This month, businesses in Winchester will be given a special opportunity to continue trading into the evening hours as a host of events and activities light up the city streets and entice night-time shoppers to the city centre.
Whether you’re a local business owner seeking to drum up extra trade, or just someone who wants an excuse to spend more time shopping, why not take advantage of a special programme of early evening activities and events in Winchester City Centre?
Clive Burgess, of Mayfest, has teamed up with Hat Fair to manage an early evening programme from Thursday 18th September until Friday 26th September.
Between 5:30pm and 7:30pm a wide range of events and activities will be taking place in the city centre. This is your opportunity to join in, and make the most of the evening economy!
Activities will include:
- lantern-making workshops and a lantern procession
- outdoor dance lessons including salsa, capoeira and gentle tea dancing
- choir singing workshops
- city centre fun run with the Hash House Harriers
- music performances in central Winchester pubs
- strolling performances by street entertainers
- Rapper Morris side dancing
- temporary light sculptures along the High Street
- circus skills workshops
- late night shopping on Thursdays
- early evening dining in city centre restaurants and cafés.
Cllr George Beckett, Leader of Winchester City Council hopes the event will help local businesses and give a boost to the local economy. He said:
“This is just one of the many ways in which we are trying to support our local business community. As we all know, these are trying times for retailers and restaurateurs, and this programme of events should help to encourage additional business during the early evenings. I hope that our local businesses will join-in and benefit from the ‘Open Up & Lighten Up Winchester’ activities.”
If you would like to take part and make your mark on Winchester’s evening economy, call Clive Burgess on 07807 084219.