It's Community Chest time again
Voluntary and community groups in need of funds can now start applying for the next round of cash grants from Winchester City Council.
Community Chest grants of up to £500 are available to not-for-profit voluntary organisations, community groups or registered charities that run activities or projects benefiting the residents of Winchester District.
Funds can be obtained for one-off expenses if projects or activities meet the priorities under the six keys themes of arts, community development, community safety, heritage and conservation, sports or town twinning.
There are three rounds for awards held during 2007-2008 and the closing dates for receipt of applications are:
- 25 April, 2007 (for activities taking place after 6 June, 2007)
- 27 June, 2007 (for activities taking place after 8 August, 2007)
- 25 October, 2007 (for activities taking place after 6 December, 2007)
(All activities and expenditure must take place prior to 31st March, 2008)
Last year a wide variety of groups across the district were able to improve their services within the community thanks to the scheme. This list shows just some of the benefactors:
- Winchester Film Society - £500 - towards the costs of supporting young people to participate in this event.
- Denmead Neighbourhood Watch Committee - £450 - towards costs of production and circulation of Community Safety Handbook.
- Spare Part Players - £500 - towards the purchase of sound and lighting equipment.
- Itchen Community Wildlife Art Club - £500 - towards the purchase of equipment and materials for this newly created group.
- Wickham Summer Playscheme - £347- for the provision of a circus day during the Summer Playscheme to be held in August.
- Bishops Waltham Dynamos F.C. - £250 - towards the purchase of mini goalposts to increase capacity of activity.
- Friends of King Alfred's Buses - £230 - for the purchase of equipment to enable the production of promotional material.
For more information on the criteria for this grant scheme and an application go to www.winchester.gov.uk/communitychest