Winchester City Council opens the chest to help more community groupsThe latest Community Chest grants have been awarded to successful community groups throughout the Winchester district. Organisations apply for funds from Winchester City Council who are able to help ensure community activities are accessible across the district.
Cllr Patricia Stallard Portfolio Holder for Culture, Heritage and Sport said, "The Community Chest grant scheme gives the council an opportunity to fund small but very important local community activities. We are very pleased to announce the latest round of grants and would encourage all community groups to get in touch to see if we can help them."
In the latest round of awards 11 groups have received over £4,000 of funding to support a wide variety of activities including:
• Twinning Activities in Bishops Waltham
• Purchase of camping equipment for a Guide unit in Swanmore
• Refurbishment of a loft area to enable safe storage of documents for a museum trust
• Creation of an art garden at the Colour Factory to enable outdoor art workshops
• Purchase of a printer/scanner for Friends of King Alfred Buses to enable them to produce promotional material to publicise their events
• Provision of transport to enable disabled youngsters from the Winchester district to access specialist IT training workshops.
• Funding towards the 50th anniversary celebrations in Oliver's Battery
• A fun day for children attending the Wickham Summer Playscheme
• Winchester City Penguins Swimming Club to enable 30 swimmers to train in an Olympic size pool
• Purchase of trophies for corporate relay event hosted by Winchester & District Athletic Club to highlight need for an athletics track.
• The Kala Chethena Kathakali Troupe to support their work with local schoolchildren.
Any community group based within the Winchester district can apply for a Community Chest grant up to a maximum of £500. The closing date for the next round is 28 July 2006 with a further round of allocations in November.
If your group would like to apply for a grant you can find details on the Winchester City Council website under "Grants and Funding": www.winchester.gov.uk , or by phoning Bernice Heller on 01962 848 582.