Thinking of holding a Street Party for a special occasion? See our Special Events/Road Closures page for more information.
The Winchester District Safety Advisory Group (SAG) liaises with organisers of public events that are planned to take place in the Winchester City Council area.
The aim of the group is to ensure that large public events are safely and well managed. The SAG aims are:
- To promote high levels of safety control at events;
- To promote the well being of public at those events; and
- To ensure events cause minimal inconvenience to local residents.
The SAG will consider large scale public events where more than 500 people are expected to attend, although smaller events may require the involvement of the SAG depending on the event. Typical events may include pop concerts, carnivals, parades, firework displays etc, some of which may require a premises licence under the Licensing Act 2003.
NB When planning an event involving more than 10,000 people a minimum of 6 months notice should be sought and a minimum of 3 months notice for between 500 and 10,000 people. Event organisers are likely to be invited to attend a SAG meeting to present their plans.
Once you have confirmed the initial details of your event (such as date and nature of event) Notify us of your event to confirm the details and the relevant officers will contact you to discuss your event planning further. Event Organisers are likely to be invited to a SAG meeting. They may be asked about their experience and competence in managing events and will be required to present their plans.
To demonstrate that they are managing an event well and have sufficient plans in place, Event Organisers will be required to submit a site plan together with their Event Management Plan and Traffic Management Plan - both these can be found on the 'What to Consider' page below.
After the event, organisers may be invited back to a SAG meeting to review and evaluate the event.
- What to Consider You need to have sufficient plans in place for your event.
- Do I need a Licence? Information about whether you will need a premises or temporary events notice (TEN) for your event.
- Potential Locations One of the first things to confirm is the site you will be using for your event.
- Notify Us If you are thinking of organising an event in the Winchester City Council District please let us know as soon as possible.
- Useful Contacts A list of useful contacts to help when planning your event.
- The “Can Do” guide to organising and running voluntary and community events A Government produced guide covering all event organising issues such as obtaining the right permissions, health and safety, food hygiene, road closures and insurance.
- Useful References A list of useful books, guidance documents and references to help you when planning your event.