North Whiteley Development Forum
What does it do
The Forum is to act as an informal advisory body to discuss and engage with the public on the following issues, and advise the relevant authorities accordingly:-
• Advise upon a vision for the development of the MDA at North Whiteley which will act as a template for the master planning process and subsequent planning applications and keep this under review.
• Provide a response to key issues and options arising during the course of planning for and delivering the extension to the community at Whiteley, with input from local authorities, community groups and development interests.
• Act as a sounding board where ideas, options and issues relating to the development can be considered before becoming part of the formal planning process.
• Develop for consideration by the relevant authorities a community development strategy for the MDA.
• Consider and advise upon the community infrastructure required to support and integrate the new and existing communities.
• Consider good practice from development elsewhere and consider key findings for inclusion in the master planning process.
• Consider and advise upon a strategy for the ownership and management of the social infrastructure and community assets.
• Review progress reports on the development of the masterplan and relevant planning applications.
The membership of the Forum is:
• Winchester City Council (6 representatives - including chairman of the Forum)
• Hampshire County Council (2 representatives)
• Fareham Borough Council (1 representative)
• Whiteley Parish Council (1 representative)
• Curdridge Parish Council (1 representative)
The Forum will be quorate if five voting representatives are present.
Method of Working and Voting Rights
All representatives are expected to use their best endeavours to reach conclusions by general consensus. Where any voting representative on the Forum requires a formal vote to be taken, this shall be on a show of hands by those voting representatives present and voting (the membership as set out above).
Winchester City Council’s Democratic Services Team shall be responsible for administering the Forum, calling meetings, and recording proceedings.
Public Participation Procedure
1. There will be a period of 10 minutes maximum at the beginning of each forum meeting when the Chairman will invite the public, including local interest groups, to raise any general matters of interest and/or matters relating to the work of the Forum. Detailed matters related to agenda items will not be accepted at this point, as there will be an opportunity for these comments to be heard later in the meeting. As is the usual practice for general public participation, however, officers and Members may not be able to immediately respond at the meeting to points raised by the public where these relate to non-agenda items.
Consideration of Individual Agenda Items
2. After an officer has introduced an agenda item, the Chairman will invite public participation on matters relating to that agenda item. At this point, a period of up to ten minutes (subject to extension at the Chairman’s discretion) will be allowed for public comments. During this period, members of the public, including local interest groups, will be able to object, support or ask questions directly relating to the agenda item and contents of the officer report.
3. An individual speaker will be limited to a maximum of three minutes per agenda item. Where a number of members of the public wish to speak, they will be encouraged to agree the allocation of the maximum ten minute period for public participation. The Democratic Services Officer will assist in this process before the start of the meeting. The Chairman will retain a general discretion to manage the public speaking process, and may limit individual speakers to less than three minutes, or take other steps necessary in order to maximise public participation in an appropriate way. The extension of the total 10 minutes limit allowed for the public to discuss an agenda item will be at the discretion of the Chairman.
4. There will be no further opportunity for the public to comment on an agenda item once the period of public participation has ended even if the prescribed period has not been reached. The subsequent discussion, consideration and decision on the matter is then passed to Forum Members.
5. Members and Officers will not provide an immediate response to public comments raised from the floor. All comments and queries will be noted and the Chairman will invite Officers and/or Members to respond to specific points during the round table debate and discussion amongst Forum members that follows.
6. Members of the public should wherever possible contact the Democratic Services Officer before the start of the meeting (preferably by telephone or email prior to the day of the meeting), so that as many people who wish to speak can be accommodated during the public participation sessions.
Forum Debate and Vote
7. The Chairman will subsequently invite questions and open the discussion and debate to all Members of the Forum and will invite officers and/or Members to respond to any public comments raised from the floor. Where appropriate, a vote will be taken to reach a formal recommendation on the agenda item.
Winchester City Council:
See bottom of page
Hampshire County Council:
County Councillor Patricia Stallard
County Councillor Sean Woodward
Curdridge Parish Council:
Parish Councillor Kevan Bundell
Whiteley Parish Council:
Parish Councillor Mike Evans
Parish Councillor David Jenkins (Deputy)
Eastleigh Borough Council:
Councillor Daniel Clarke
Fareham Borough Council:
Councillor David Swanbrow
Councillor KD Evans (Deputy)
Botley Parish Council:
Parish Councillor Colin Mercer
Parish Councillor Graham Hunter (Deputy)
Current Committee Members
Councillor Laurence Ruffell
Councillor Vivian Achwal
Councillor Roger Bentote
Councillor Roger Huxstep
Councillor Frank Pearson
Councillor Therese Evans BA, MCIL
Position: Senior Democratic Services Officer
Telephone: 01962 848 438
Position: Principal Democratic Services Officer
Telephone: 01962 848221