Cabinet (Major Projects) Committee
What does it do
Terms of Reference
1. Referred Matters
To advise Cabinet or Council of any matter related to implementation of the Major Projects programme, where a ‘Major Project’ is defined as such in the Capital Programme and which will have significant impact on the District’s economy or communities, and/or has significant financial or operational implications for the Council. In particular, to advise on:
• the overall programme of Major Projects including the timing and prioritisation of individual projects, and
• the allocation of resources (staff, financial and other) to each project and to the overall programme.
2. Delegated Matters - General Fund Major Projects
2.1 To oversee the implementation of that programme and to ensure it is managed effectively, and in particular:
• to monitor progress of each project against the planned timetable;
• consider and determine methods of consultation and engagement;
• to consider and determine communication issues, and
• to monitor any barriers to the delivery of individual projects or the overall programme, and where appropriate make executive decisions within the framework of the financial limits set out in paragraphs 2.3 and 2.4 below or make recommendations to Cabinet.
2.2 To monitor the development and formulation of Major Projects, ensuring that they are undertaken in accordance with the Council’s policies on, inter alia, project management, public engagement, financial management and procurement.
2.3 Exercising the powers of Cabinet under the Financial Procedure Rules to approve a capital or revenue virement or supplementary capital or revenue estimate up to £250,000, subject to the requirement to give The Overview and Scrutiny Committee the opportunity to call in any such approvals in excess of £100,000 (Note – virement is not appropriate where there will be savings in one Fund and additional costs incurred in another Fund e.g. between the General Fund and the Housing Revenue Account. Also, any requests for a supplementary estimate on the HRA will have implications for the HRA Business Plan and these matters will therefore need to be referred to Cabinet or Council as appropriate).
2.4 Exercising the powers of Cabinet under the Contract Procedure Rules in relation to procurement contracts for works, goods, software or services up to a value of £2,000,000 or £200,000 per annum, whichever is the greater.
2.5 Approval of price/quality evaluation criteria;
• approval of short-listing procedures, short-list selection and approved lists of contractors, including the authorisation of any departures from Contract Procedure Rules;
• award of Contract;
• approval of schemes under Financial Procedure Rule 6.4 – authority to release expenditure for capital schemes;
• approval of final cost for capital schemes under Financial Procedure Rules.
2.6 To consider and approve the submission of planning applications to the Local Planning Authority to take forward Major Projects.
Public Participation is at the Chairman’s discretion. If your question relates to an item on the agenda, you will normally be asked to speak at the time of the relevant item. Representations will be limited to a maximum of 3 minutes, subject to a maximum 15 minutes set aside for all questions and answers. If several people wish to speak on the same subject, the Chairman may ask for one person to speak on everyone's behalf. As time is limited, a "first come first served" basis will be operated.
To reserve your place to speak, you are asked to arrive no later than 10 minutes before the start of the meeting to register your intention to speak. Please contact the Democratic Services Officer in advance for further details.
In the event of any of the standing members not being available for a particular meeting, another member of Cabinet will be selected in alphabetical rotation by the Head of Legal and Democratic Services to substitute for the standing member.
In addition, the following standing list of Councillors be invited to attend and offer views at meetings of the Committee:
Cllrs Berry, Izard, Read, Tait and Thompson (Deputy: Evans)
Current Committee Members
Councillor Stephen Godfrey
Councillor James Byrnes
Councillor Steve Miller
Councillor Victoria Weston
Councillor Frank Pearson
Position: Senior Democratic Services Officer
Telephone: 01962 848235