Private Hire Driver's Licences
A licence is required before any person can drive a Private Hire Vehicle. Private Hire Vehicles cannot ply for hire in the street or at taxi ranks. Journeys must be pre-booked, normally by phone or in person at a cab office.
Before a licence is granted the applicant must satisfy the Council that:
- he/she is a fit and proper person to hold a licence;
- he/she is medically fit;
- he/she has attained the age of 21 years;
- he/she has held a full driver's licence (not a provisional licence) granted to the applicant under Part III of the Road Traffic Act 1972 authorising him/her to drive a motor car for at least twelve months prior to the date of the application;
- he/she can demonstrate adequate knowledge of the local area;
- he/she has the right to work in the UK
New applicants are required to pass a taxi driving assessment with the Blue Lamp Trust. Information for the Blue Lamp Trust can be found on www.bluelamptrust.org.uk and click on ‘Driver Training’, ‘Business Driver Training’, ‘Taxi Driver Assessments’.
Once the application form has been completed, you need to make an appointment to visit our Offices, bringing with you the following documentation:
- the completed application form
- your DVLA Driving Licence (original - not a photocopy)
- your passport or birth certificate
- your National Insurance number
- two utility bills issued in the last 3 months as proof of your address
- fees - currently £117 initial fee*, renewal £86.
All new and existing drivers and required to obtain a Disclosure and Barring Service check from Personnel Checks, via the following link: https://www.personnelchecks.co.uk/taxis/winchester. Once driver has received his Disclosure and Barring Service certificate, they must supply it to the Licensing Department.
If any driver is unable to apply online for their Disclosure and Barring Service certificate using the online service, please contact the Licensing Team on 01962 848 188.
* Please note, initial application fees must be paid by credit/debit card or cash.
Applications will not be accepted without production of the above.