Sex Establishment Licence
Sex Establishments are required to be licensed by the City Council under the Local Government (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 1982.
A sex establishment can either be a Sex Shop, or a Sex Cinema which may require a premises licence under the Licensing Act 2003.
A sex shop is a premises used for business which consists to a significant degree of selling sex articles. A sex cinema is any premises used to a significant degree for showing of films which are concerned primarily with, or relate to, or are intended to stimulate sexual activity.
The law defines the way in which an application is made, which include advertising notice of the application in the local press and displaying a notice outside the premises for a specific time period to give passers by the opportunity to comment by a statutory closing date.
When considering an application for a sex establishment licence the City Council may only use the following criteria:
- the suitability of the Applicant
- whether the person applying is a "front" person for someone else
- the location and situation of the premises in relation to other premises in the area
- whether the number of sex establisments in that locality is equal to, or exceeds the number which the Council considers appropriate for the area
Your Right of Appeal
- any person aggrieved by a refusal to be granted a licence or by any condition to which a licence is subject may appeal to the Magistrates' Court.
- an appeal against a decision made at the Magistrates Court may be appealed at the Crown Court but the decision of the Crown Court is final.
Offences and Penalties
- anybody who operates a sex establishment without a licence or fails to comply with licence condition or admits persons under the age of 18 is committing an offence.
- penalties upon conviction can range from £1,000 to £20,000.
Copies of the Local Government (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 1982 can be purchased from the Office of Public Sector Information (formerly HMSO).
- A copy of the legislation can be viewed at the Council Offices.
|ukwelcomes.businesslink.gov.uk||Application for a Sex Establishment Licence|
|Some of the following documents are in pdf format. You can download and install a free PDF reader to enable you to read and print them. Click here to download Adobe Acrobat (PDF) Reader.|
|Sex Establishment Licensing Policy||555KB||
56Kbps Modem: 1 Minute 21 Seconds
Broadband : Less than 1 Minute