Personal Licences

Personal licences permit a person to authorise the supply of alcohol at premises licensed for that purpose. Each premises supplying alcohol must also have a "designated premises supervisor", who must be the holder of a personal licence. In the circumstance of someone being issued a Temporary Event Notice (TEN), the applicant of the TEN may authorise the sale of alcohol at the event and does not need to be a personal licence holder.

  • Application for a New Personal Licence

    The application for a new personal licence must include:

    • Two passport style photographs with the application, one of which should be certified as to the likeness of the applicant, and signed by a solicitor or notary, a person of standing in the community, or any individual with a professional qualification.
    • A licensing qualification, Level 2 Award for Personal Licence Holders. Please see below for a list of accredited qualification providers.
    • A Disclosure and Barring Services check which is dated no more than one month before the application. Basic checks can be obtained from Disclosure Scotland for further details call their helpline number 0870 609 6006, or their website
    • Please supply a contact number to arrange payment or make a cheque for the fee of £37 made payable to Winchester City Council.

    Changes from 6 April 2017

    Any applications made on or after 6 April 2017 will be required to provide supporting documentation proving an applicants entitlement to work in the UK following the introduction of the Immigration Act 2016.  Applicants should not provide original documents but clear copies. 

    Amended application forms are now available.  

    Completed applications should be sent to:-

    Licensing Section
    Winchester City Council
    City Offices
    Colebrook Street
    SO23 9LJ

    Application forms are available to download on the right-hand-side. Please note that if you wish to fill the form in electronically, you can do this by downloading the Word documents. To fill the form in manually, please download the adobe versions.

  • Renewal of Personal Licence

    The Deregulation Bill 2014 (now known as The Deregulation Act 2015) received Royal Assent on 26 March 2015. 

    From 1 April 2015, Personal Licences will not need to be renewed. Any Personal Licence with an expiry date will still be valid as the expiry date will no longer be applicable.

  • Change of name or address

    If you change your name or address, you are required by law (Section 127 of the Licensing Act 2003) to amend your Personal Licence. You can do this online or by confirming your change of details, in writing, and send to the licensing authority who issued your licence with both parts of your Personal Licence and the fee of £10.50.