Licences and Street Trading

At the City Council we are responsible for issuing licences for Hackney Carriages, Private Hire Vehicles, Premises Licences (for the sale of alcohol, regulated entertainment and late night refreshment), Personal Licences (all under the Licensing Act 2003) as well as for Street and House to House collections.

Important Notice

This authority is required by law to protect the public funds it administers. It may share information provided to it with other bodies responsible for auditing or administering public funds, in order to prevent and detect fraud. Click here for more information.


Consultation on the Review of the Licensing Policy - 1 - 29 February 2016

The City Council seeks to amend the Licensing Policy published under section 5 of the Licensing Act 2003 to include consideration of the purposes and duties of the South Downs National Park. The reviewed Policy can be found at Licensing Policy Review 2016. Comments can be submitted by email to or by post to; Licensing Section, Winchester City Council, City Offices, Colebrook Street, Winchester, SO23 9LJ, no later than 29 February 2016.