Self-Build and Custom Build Register

In accordance with the Government’s aim to boost housing supply by supporting self-build and custom building, the Self-build and Custom Housebuilding Act 2015 places a duty on certain public authorities to keep a register of individuals and associations of individuals who wish to acquire serviced plots of land to bring forward self-build and custom housebuilding projects.

The Self-build and Custom Housebuilding Act 2015 requires local authorities to keep a register of individuals and associations who wish to acquire a suitable plot of land. Winchester City Council’s Self-Build and Custom Build Register was made public on the 1st of April 2016.

What is self-build housing?

The legal definition is the building of houses by individuals or associations of individuals to be occupied as homes by those individuals. It does not include the building of a house on a plot acquired from a person who builds the house wholly or mainly to plans or specifications decided or offered by that person.

A “serviced plot of land” means a plot of land which has access to or can be provided with a public highway and connections for electricity, water and waste water.

Where can I find more information?

There are a number of national organisations which offer services and act as advocates for self-build and custom housebuilding, including:

A local organisation called Collaborative Homes, also offer services to support self-build and custom housebuilding.

Can I purchase a plot in Winchester?

HAB Housing are currently marketing some of their plots at Kingsworthy as custom build, focussing on self finish.

Plots of land for sale regularly appear on popular property portals, such as Rightmove and Zoopla. Other websites include and

The City Council started marketing sites with potential for self-build development, (subject to planning) in 2017. Sites will be marketed on the Commercial Property section of the website. Each individual and association, accepted onto the register will be notified when a site becomes available for purchase.

What if I have land to sell?

The Council would be interested in speaking to anyone with land to sell. We would be happy to inform individuals and associations on the register of land available for purchase in the Winchester district.

Am I eligible to be entered onto the Self-Build and Custom Build Register?

An individual is eligible for entry in the register if that individual is—

  • Aged 18 or over;
  • A British citizen, a national of an European Economic Area State other than the United Kingdom, or a national of Switzerland; and
  • Seeking (either alone or with others) to acquire a serviced plot of land in the Winchester City Council’s district to build a house to occupy as that individual’s sole or main residence.

An association is eligible for entry in the register if each member of the association meets all of the eligibility requirements for an individual set out above.

How do I apply?

To complete an online form to apply to be entered onto the self-build and custom build register, please click here

If you have any questions please email