Camping and caravan sites

Caravan site

Caravan, Camping and Mobile Home sites are required to be licensed. There are three main categories, which are;

  • residential sites
  • holiday sites
  • tent and tourer sites

A site can range from a single caravan, tent or tourer on a small plot of land to large sites comprising of 10's of units.

The Caravan Sites and Control of Development Act 1960 ("the Act") requires that (subject to certain exemptions) no occupier of land shall "cause or permit" any part of their land to be used as a caravan and/or camping site unless they hold a current site licence ("the licence") in respect of the land.

Section 1 (4) of the Act states a caravan site is "land on which a caravan is stationed for the purposes of human habitation and land which is used in conjunction with land on which a caravan is so stationed".