We keep records about service users and these records include personal information such as:
- Name, address, date of birth
- Contact details
- Other information about you and your household – for example gender, ethnic group, faith and religion, disabilities, special communication needs
Your file usually contains documents relating to your request for service, your application or referral to us. For example it could have records of contact with staff, next of kin/ medical details, care and support needs, employment & benefit details and letters sent to us or that we have sent.
Collecting this information helps us to provide you with the best service we can.
Our policy regarding how we use this information is set out below.
- Information we hold about you is treated in the strictest confidence.
- It will only be shared with those involved in delivering your service.
- We tell you when we collect information about you how we will use it
- If we need to share it with organisations other than Winchester City Council to meet your needs we will ask your permission before we do so, unless we believe some-one is at risk.
- It is kept securely in our files or on computer.
- We keep the information you give us as long as we need it in accordance with good practice and legislation.
- We destroy information no longer needed securely.
Sometimes we use the information we collect for other reasons such as:
- Planning new services and improving existing ones
- For research and statistics
- To monitor service delivery to check we are meeting our legal duties under current equality and human rights legislation.
If we do this, all personally identifying details (e.g. name & address) will be removed.
This anonymised information may be shared with national or partner organisations and published.
- To know what information is held about you
- To request access to this information (see below)
- To prevent processing of your personal data:
- that is likely to cause substantial damage or stress
- for direct marketing
- To take action to destroy inaccurate data (see below)
- Seek compensation if you believe data we hold has caused you damage or distress.
Access to the information we hold
To access your personal information you must put the request in writing to us (address below). You can use the `subject access form’ downloadable from the website.
The fee of £10, set out in the Data Protection Act, should be included with your request. The Data Protection Act requires us to provide a full response to your request within 40 days however most requests will be handled more quickly.
Head of Legal and Democratic Services
Winchester City Council
Tel: 01962 840 222
What if the information we hold is wrong
If you believe the information we hold about you is wrong, you have the right to ask us to change it or in some cases, delete it.