Parking on Council Estate

Parking on council estates

Parking on some of our housing estates is limited and we rely on residents and visitors parking their cars considerately, in order to minimise any disputes.

Cars should be parked on the public highway or in a designated parking area and consideration given to not causing an obstruction or damaging grass verges.

Commercial vehicles
If you drive a commercial vehicle and it is over 3.5 tonnes, we would ask you, where possible, to leave the vehicle at your workplace, so as not to increase pressure on parking in your community. If you need to park your work’s vehicle near your home, please request permission from us beforehand.

The Council has a stock of garages throughout the district, which you can lease from us to park a vehicle in. If you are interested in leasing a garage from us, please contact the Garage Management Officer 01962 848418.  Further details can also be found under the ‘Garages’ pages on this website.

Disabled parking bays
If you are disabled and have mobility difficulties, you may request a disabled parking bay near your home. This could be on the public highway or in a car parking area. Disabled parking bays are not allocated to an individual and may be used by any resident or visitor with a Blue Badge. We are unable to enforce any abuse of the use of disabled parking bays in designated parking areas on our housing estates. Disabled parking bays on the public highway will be monitored and enforcement action taken, where appropriate, by Civil Enforcement Officers.

Further details about disabled parking in Winchester city centre can be found under the ‘Parking’ pages of our website

Caravans, boats & trailers
If you own a caravan, boat or trailer and wish to keep it at your home, you will need to request permission from us first. You will only be allowed to keep a vehicle of this type if it can be parked behind the building line (front of your house), either at the side or back.


In order to minimise any inconvenience and nuisance to your neighbours caused by vehicles in our neighbourhoods, we would encourage you to follow the advice below:

Abandoned vehicles
If your car tax has expired or your vehicle is not roadworthy, you are not permitted to keep the vehicle on the land around your home, on the public highway or anywhere else on the estate. These types of vehicles can present a risk of harm, as well as being an eyesore.

If your vehicle is untaxed and temporarily ‘off the road’, you are required by law to obtain a SORN (Statutory Off-Road Notification) from the DVLA (Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency). It is against the law to park an untaxed vehicle and one without a SORN on the public highway.

Car repairs
You are allowed to carry out minor repairs to your car, but regular ongoing car maintenance is not permitted. If you need to undertake a repair, please do this during the day.

Full details about car parking can be found in your Tenants Handbook. Your Tenancy Conditions also detail your responsibilities regarding parking and nuisance in respect of owning a vehicle.