Estate Services and Improvement

  • Estate Services

    How your neighbourhood and communal areas look and making sure they are safe and secure for you to use is very important to us. We have a dedicated team of Estates Housing Officers who will be regularly visiting all Housing owned communal areas to carry out checks and put right any problems.

    Estates Inspections

    The team is responsible for the day to day management of communal areas of blocks of Housing flats, maintaining a safe and clean environment of buildings and surrounding grounds, by undertaking regular checks and observations. Their duties include:

    • Carrying out regular H&S checks in blocks of flats
    • Arranging for clearance of litter & bulk rubbish
    • Repairs reporting to communal areas
    • Monitoring the standard of cleaning and grounds maintenance, raising any issues in performance to our contractors, City Cleaning and The Landscape Group
    • Checking bin areas to make sure residents are disposing of their rubbish properly and encouraging residents to recycle more
    • Encouraging residents to keep communal areas clear of all items
    • Reporting environmental problems such as fly tipping, vandalism and abandoned cars
    • Ensuring communal areas are safe, reporting repairs and making sure they are put right promptly
    • Inspecting open spaces on our Housing estates
    • Looking for ways 

    Grounds Maintenance

    The Housing Estates team is also responsible for managing the open space on our estates, including managing the delivery of the grounds maintenance contract, on our housing estates and communal gardens at all our blocks of flats. This includes grass cutting, cutting back hedges and maintaining shrubs and flower beds. We also arrange for tree inspections where concerns are raised about damaged or diseased trees. 

    Contact us:

    If you have any questions, comments or concerns about how our estates are managed please contact the Housing Estates team:
    Housing Estates Officers: Samantha Cherrett (Team Leader), Richard Lewis, Paul Dewhurst & Sandra Smith
    Estate Improvements Officer: Sarah Charlton
    Estates Services Officer: Caroline Robinson
    Tel: 01962 848 207

  • Estate Improvements

    The Estate Improvement Programme is available to undertake specific, larger scale estate improvements, which may otherwise have not been possible using the general estate management budget.

    The budget is specifically for larger projects which will address community issues, and so far we have received some very good suggestions as to how we can make real improvements to the communities in which you live. We have already completed a number of projects, including;

    • Improving parking arrangements and facilities
    • Improving security in communal areas, through the installation of door entry systems
    • The installation of communal fencing & lighting
    • Small scale regeneration projects.

    Proposals can be made by Winchester City Council tenants and leaseholders, Councillors and Council Officers, and should be made using the Estate Improvements Proposal Form, providing as much detail as possible. Proposals can be made using our online form, or the form can be downloaded below. Please provide as much detail as possible, including any supporting information from other agencies, (such as the Police, Fire Service etc.), if you have it. As the scheme is very popular, not all suggestions can be taken forward, and so it is important that you provide as much information as possible, so that your application can be fully considered. If you are not sure if your suggestion qualifies for this scheme, speak to your Area Housing Manager in the first instance, who will be able to offer you advice. Some smaller projects can be delivered by your Area Housing Manager directly.

    Completed forms and additional documentation should be returned to Sarah Charlton, Area Housing Manager (Estate Improvements) at the City Offices, Colebrook Street, Winchester, SO23 9LJ.

  • Parking on council estates

    Parking on some of our housing estates is limited and we rely on residents and visitors parking their cars considerately, in order to minimise any disputes. Cars should be parked on the public highway or in a designated parking area and consideration given to not causing an obstruction or damaging grass verges.

    • Commercial vehicles - If you drive a commercial vehicle and it is over 3.5 tonnes, we would ask you, where possible, to leave the vehicle at your workplace, so as not to increase pressure on parking in your community. If you need to park your work’s vehicle near your home, please request permission from us beforehand.
    • Garages - We have a stock of garages throughout the district, which you can lease from us to park a vehicle in. If you are interested in leasing a garage from us, please contact the Garage Management Officer 01962 848418.  Further details can also be found under the ‘Garages’ pages on this website.
    • Disabled parking bays - If you are disabled and have mobility difficulties, you may request a disabled parking bay near your home. This could be on the public highway or in a car parking area. Disabled parking bays are not allocated to an individual and may be used by any resident or visitor with a Blue Badge. We are unable to enforce any abuse of the use of disabled parking bays in designated parking areas on our housing estates. Disabled parking bays on the public highway will be monitored and enforcement action taken, where appropriate, by Civil Enforcement Officers.
    • Caravans, boats & trailers - If you own a caravan, boat or trailer and wish to keep it at your home, you will need to request permission from us first. You will only be allowed to keep a vehicle of this type if it can be parked behind the building line (front of your house), either at the side or back.

    Neighbourhood Considerations

    In order to minimise any inconvenience and nuisance to your neighbours caused by vehicles in our neighbourhoods, we would encourage you to follow the advice below:

    • Abandoned vehicles - If your car tax has expired or your vehicle is not roadworthy, you are not permitted to keep the vehicle on the land around your home, on the public highway or anywhere else on the estate. These types of vehicles can present a risk of harm, as well as being an eyesore. If your vehicle is untaxed and temporarily ‘off the road’, you are required by law to obtain a SORN (Statutory Off-Road Notification) from the DVLA (Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency). It is against the law to park an untaxed vehicle and one without a SORN on the public highway.
    • Car repairs - You are allowed to carry out minor repairs to your car, but regular ongoing car maintenance is not permitted. If you need to undertake a repair, please do this during the day.

    Full details about car parking can be found in your Tenants Handbook. Your Tenancy Conditions also detail your responsibilities regarding parking and nuisance in respect of owning a vehicle.