Health & Safety


The Health Protection Team at Winchester City Council is responsible for the enforcement of health and safety regulations in over 2000 premises such as offices, hotels, restaurants, warehouses and shops. Responsibility is shared with the Government's Health and Safety Executive (HSE), which is responsible for inspecting manufacturing industries, construction and agriculture. For more information about the types of premises enforced by the HSE and local authorities visit the HSE website.

Our task is to ensure that every employer, employee and self-employed person understands and complies with the Health and Safety at Work Act 1974 and associated legislation.

We carry out health and safety inspections, provide advice and support to prevent accidents in the workplace, investigate complaints and can take enforcement action

If you want to know what to expect read the leaflet when a health and safety inspector calls


All complaints regarding health, safety, welfare, or working conditions are investigated in confidence. Please see our complaints page for more information. 

Licenses and Registrations


When holding an event it maybe necessary to comply with alcohol and entertainment licensing laws.

Fireworks & Scaffolding

When selling fireworks or erecting scaffolding and hoarding you must contact Hampshire County Council.

Selling or manufacturing of food

If you sell, prepare or manufacture food you will need to register with the us.

Asbestos removal

Must be carried out by licensed contractors who must notify the enforcing authority of their intention to remove asbestos.

Special Treatments

Anyone who wishes to carry on the practice of acupuncture, tattooing, semi-permanent skin-colouring, cosmetic piercing and electrolysis must be registered with Winchester City Council

Cooling Towers and Evaporative Condensers

Under the provisions of the Notification of Cooling Towers and Evaporative Condensers Regulations 1992 it is the duty of each person who has control of premises to ensure that no “notifiable device” is situated on those premises unless the local authority in whose area the premises are situated has been notified in writing.