Wet weather over the winter period can cause widespread problems for communities across the Winchester District. Previous emergency responses have been effective and well received, but there are still many homes and businesses which may suffer directly or indirectly from the floods. The information on this page is aimed at helping people to take action before, during, and after flooding.
Environment Agency Floodline: 0345 988 1188 (24 hrs)
In the event of a flood, you can contact Winchester City Council on the following numbers:
Business hours 01962 840 222 (Mon-Thu 8.30am - 5pm, Fri 8.30am - 4.30pm)
Out of hours 01962 865 407.
For more information about flooding in Hampshire, visit the Hampshire County Council website
- Flood Alleviation Scheme - St. Bedes/Park Avenue, Winchester This scheme will protect the River Park Leisure Centre, St Bedes CE Primary School, the University of Southampton School of Art, residential properties in Park Road, and reduces the risk of flooding in other residential streets such as Middlebrook Street, Upper Brook Street and the High Street.
- Flood Alleviation Scheme – Water Lane, Winchester A small (dwarf) flood defence wall has been constructed in this location.
- Preparing for flooding Things you can do to help reduce the risk of flooding to your property and information about the council's sandbag policy.
- Flooding advice There are many national organisations who provide guidance and lists of approved companies that deal with flood protection and resilience.
- Useful flooding links Information, maps, and flooding advice provided by the Environment Agency, GOV.UK and other organisations.
- Flood Recovery Grants for Business There are a number of schemes to provide financial support to businesses in flood-affected areas who have been affected by the recent spell of extreme wet weather.