Climate Change is the most serious environmental challenge facing us in the 21st Century. The need to take action is ever more pressing, with almost 200 countries reaffirming their belief that global temperatures should rise no more than 2˚C at Paris Climate Conference in December 2015. You can read more about initiatives already in hand to cut carbon emissions in the Winchester District by exploring the boxes below
The Council has made a number of commitments to reducing its own carbon footprint, but everyone in the District has a part to play. A useful starting point is to measure your individual carbon footprint, and look for some of the simple measures you can take to start lowering it. You can also consider joining Winchester Action on Climate Change, a coalition of organisations and individuals working to encourage others to take action on climate change.
- Cool Communities Cool Communities is an initiative that helps people to reduce their carbon footprints by working with other people.
- Support for sustainable businesses Use this page to find out how Winchester City Council and partners are can help businesses become more environmentally friendly.
- Low Carbon Board Find out how efforts to reduce Winchester’s carbon footprint are guided and co-ordinated.
- Council Energy and Carbon Management We recognise the importance of managing CO2 emissions from our own estate and operations.
- Winchester Action on Climate Change (WinACC) WinACC was formed in 2007 as a coalition of organisations and citizens with the principal aim to encourage and advise households and organisations in the district to reduce their carbon footprints.