Received a letter from us about electoral registration?
We carry out a "canvass" every year to ensure that the electoral register is up to date. With the introduction of Individual electoral registration (external website), the annual canvass process has changed.
What we're doing
We will send a letter, known as a "household enquiry form" (HEF), to every household in the district. The letter will be addressed to "the occupier" and will contain the details of all those in the household who are registered to vote.
What you need to do
We will ask you to confirm that the details of those living at that address and registered to vote are correct. Anyone in the household can respond to the letter.
Please don't ignore the letter.
All the details are correct?
If the details are correct, all you need to do is follow the instructions on the letter.
Choose only one of the three options:
1. Click here to complete the online form to confirm that there are no changes. You will need the two security numbers printed on the letter to complete the online form.
2. Phone 0800 197 9871 to confirm that there are no changes. You will need the two security numbers printed on the letter to confirm by phone.
3. Complete the paper form we sent you and return it using the pre-paid envelope. You do not have to return the form if you have used either option 1 or 2.
Details incorrect or missing?
If the details on the letter are incorrect - for example, someone has moved away or moved in - follow the instructions on the letter to let us know.
Choose only one of the two options:
1. Click here to complete the online form to tell us what has changed. You will need the two security numbers printed on the letter to complete the online form.
2. Complete the paper form we sent you and return it to us using the pre-paid envelope. You do not have to return the form if you completed the form online.
What happens next?
If you confirm that there are no changes, we won't write to you again as part of that year's canvass.
If you tell us there are new people eligible to be registered, we will send each person an "invitation to register". This form invites that person to apply to register to vote. Additionally, the new elector can fill in the form online at www.gov.uk/register-to-vote
If you tell us someone has moved away, we will send each individual a further letter so that we have confirmation that they have moved away. This is because we're required to have two pieces of evidence to remove someone from the electoral register.
We will send a reminder where we don't get a reply from a household and, if necessary, a further two reminders
If you don't reply after all the reminders, we will visit your property to help us complete the canvass.
What the law says
The law says that you must provide us with the information as part of the annual canvass.