Single Persons Discount

You can get a 25% discount off your council tax bill if you are the only adult (aged 18 or over) living in a property. We refer to this as a single person discount.

How do I apply?

You will need to confirm that a discount is due to you by sending in a letter with the details or completing the online form - Single Persons Discount Application Form. Remember to tell us the effective date.

What happens next?

When we have received your form or letter and agree a discount is due to you, we will send you a new Bill with amended monthly instalments.

How do I end my discount?

To stop your discount because you have another adult living with you please email us at: or write to: Council Tax Department, City Offices, Colebrook Street, Winchester, Hampshire SO23 9LJ, with the effective date of the change.

Can I be penalised for failing to inform the Council about a change in circumstances regarding my discount?

Yes. If you are in receipt of a discount and your circumstances change which may affect the discount, you have a duty to inform the Council within 21 days of the change of circumstances. The Council may impose a civil penalty of £50 for failure to advise of your change in circumstances which affect your discount.

The Theft Act 1968 also applies to Council Tax where a person presents information which they know to be false with a view to obtaining a financial benefit to which they are not entitled. You could be subject to prosecution for obtaining a pecuniary advantage by deception.