Council tax is a property based tax payable on most domestic properties such as a house or a flat but can also include other types of property where people can live such as a 'granny annex' or a caravan.
Your council tax funds a whole range of local services. Winchester City Council collects the council tax in the district on behalf of the County Council, the Police, the Fire and Rescue service and your Parish Council. Some of the council tax is kept by Winchester City Council to help pay for the services which we provide. See Council Tax Charges 2016/17 for more information about how your money is spent.
How is each £1 spent?
In 2016/17 it will be: Hampshire County Council – 71.72p, Winchester City Council – 8.68p, Police and Crime Commissioner for Hampshire – 10.67p, Fire Authority 4.16p and Parishes – 4.77p
Please be aware of Council Tax scams
Previously we have been alerted by customers who received a text message which appeared to be from the Council but wasn't. The message provided a link to apply for a council tax rebate which then requests personal and bank details. The Council does not text or phone customers to inform them of 'rebates' on Council Tax.
How to protect yourself:
• Never respond to unsolicited phone calls
• The Council will not phone out-of-the-blue to discuss a council tax rebate, if you receive a call of this nature, put the phone down straight away.
• No legitimate organisation will ask you to pay an advanced fee in order to receive money; so never give them your card details.
• If you think you have been a victim of fraud, hang up the phone and wait five minutes to clear the line as fraudsters sometimes keep the line open. Then call your bank or card issuer to report the fraud. Where it is possible use a different phone line to make the phone call.
To report a fraud and receive a police crime reference number, call Action Fraud on 0300 123 2040 or use the online fraud reporting tool.
- Council Tax Reduction Scheme 2016/17 The consultation for the Council Tax Reduction Scheme for 2016/17 is now closed. This consultation opens on 1st September 2015 and closes on 31st October 2015.
- Empty Homes Review Winchester City Council has instigated a review of empty Council Tax properties. The review will be undertaken by CapacityGrid on Winchester City Council’s behalf. Update the property records for your address using the information contained in the letter from CapacityGrid
- Paying your Council Tax How much you will pay and how to pay it.
- Contact the Council Tax team Information on how to contact the Council Tax team
- Changes to Council Tax and Council Tax Benefit The Government abolished Council Tax Benefit and Councils have had to develop their own Council Tax Reduction schemes to replace it.
- Who has to pay Council Tax How it is decided who is liable to pay council tax.
- Discounts A list of all Council Tax Discounts that are available.
- Moving House? You can now complete a quick online form to let us know your details.
- Exemptions A list of all the instances where a property is exempt from Council Tax.
- Band Reductions - Valuation Office Appeal If you feel that your property has been placed in the wrong band you have the right to appeal.
- What happens if I do not pay my Council Tax? When your council tax is due and what to do if you are having problems paying.
- Guidance for Landlords Information and guidance for Landlords with occupants, empty properties and more.
- The sharing of personal data How we share information about you within the Council, with external bodies and with other Government Bodies
- Business Rates Find out about business rates and who is liable to pay.