Anti-Social Behaviour

The Anti-Social Behaviour Crime and Policing Act 2014 came into force on 20 October 2014.

Anti-Social Behaviour can blight the lives of individuals and whole communities and remains a key area of concern for the public.

The term anti social behaviour covers a wide range of unacceptable activity that can have a negative effect on individuals and communities quality of life.

Examples of anti social behaviour include:
• rowdy and intimidating groups,
• nuisance neighbours,
• verbal abuse and intimidation.

Anti Social Behaviour also includes environmental crime including: fly tipping and graffiti.

The legal definition of anti social behaviour is behaviour which causes or is likely to cause harassment, alarm and or distress to others.

Winchester City Council takes tackling anti social behaviour very seriously. In order to address this issue Winchester City Council works in partnership with other agencies who form the Winchester Community Safety Partnership (WCSP). Membership of the WCSP includes Hampshire Constabulary, Hampshire Fire and Rescue Service and Hampshire County Council. However, the most important partner in tackling anti social behaviour is YOU as members of the public.

If you witness an incident of anti social behaviour or are experiencing repeat incidences of anti social behaviour it is important that you report what is happening to the Winchester Community Safety Partnership. Without information and complaints from members of the public we are unable to take any action. Anti social behaviour can be reported in a number of ways:

  • 101: this is Hampshire Constabulary 24 hour non emergency number to report a crime that doesn't need an urgent response and anti-social behaviour. If you need an immediate police response then you should always dial 999.
  • Winchester City Council Online reporting: this can be used to report isolated incidents of anti social behaviour. Please report isolated incidents of anti social behaviour via our reporting forms which can be found here; Report  (you can choose 'submit the report anonymously' if you don't wish to register or log-in)
  • Contact your housing provider: if you are experiencing anti social behaviour and you are a housing tenant it may be advantageous for you to contact your housing provider
  • Neighbourhood Services Officer - Anti Social Behaviour: if you are an owner occupier or private resident and experiencing anti social behaviour please contact the Neighbourhood Services Officer - Anti Social Behaviour on 01962 840 222.
  • Speak to your local councillor: You can approach your elected member who represents your ward or your Parish Clerk in the first instance for advice and guidance on who you should speak to about your concerns.

Community Trigger
Community Trigger gives victims and communities the right to request a review of their case and bring agencies together to take a joined up, problem-solving approach to find a resolution.
If Community Trigger threshold is met partnership agencies will share information, review what action had been taken and decide if additional actions are possible.

To find out more about Community Trigger follow the link; What is Community Trigger?