Winchester City Council funded the painting of a total of 16 bollards as part of its wider contribution to the refurbishment of The Square,in partnership with Hampshire County Council. The bollard project, first conceived in 2005 as part of the Hat Fair celebrations, is thought to have been a first for the UK, following in the footsteps of similar schemes in Australia, the USA and Europe.
The team at The Colour Factory, which includes principal artists Jenny Muncaster and Rachael Alexander, took inspiration from some of the world’s greatest painters, adding an extra splash of artistic integrity, fun and intrigue to the city’s street furniture.
2) Community Bollard: Queen's Diamond Jubilee 2012 designed by the Residents of Richard Moss House
3) Rhythm Colour by Sonia Delaunay (1885 - 1979)
9) Design based on Ravenna Mosaics
10) Community bollard: Roman Winchester designed by young people at the The Carroll Youth Centre (Stanmore)
11) The Dream by Pablo Picasso (1881 - 1973)
12) A Bigger Splash by David Hockney (1937 - present)
17) Blaze Study/Movement in Squares by Bridget Riley (1931 - present)
18) The Last Judgement by Wassily Kandinsky (1866 - 1944)
19) Fuji Seen Through a Bamboo Thicket by Katsushika Hokusai (1760 - 1849)