Get your claim processed quickly

To get your claim processed quickly you should bring all of the documents listed below to City Offices.

  • Complete the Housing and Council Tax Reduction application form answering ALL questions.
  • Bring your form including original documents and proof of identity (see below for more information).
  • Remember that you will need proof of income and savings for everyone living in your household over 18 years of age.

Proof of Identity and National Insurance Number

You will have to prove your identity by providing proof of your National Insurance Number(s) for both you and your partner. An original document with the number on it must be provided. Acceptable proof is listed below:

  • P45/P60
  • Printed (not hand-written) payslips
  • Income Tax letter
  • Notification letter from the Department for Work & Pensions
  • National Insurance number card

If you do not have a National Insurance number or an original document with the number on it, you must provide TWO different original forms of identification, for example:

  • Driving Licence
  • Current Passport
  • Birth Certificate
  • Medical Card
  • Bank Statement

Proof of income

If you or your partner are employed, you must provide;

  • last 5 wage slips if paid weekly
  • last 3 wage slips if paid every 2 weeks
  • last 2 wage slips if paid monthly or four weekly

If you or your partner are self employed, you must bring your most recent accounts. If you cannot provide these, or have only recently become self employed, please complete the self employed application form at the bottom of this page or contact the Benefits Section.

If you are receiving any benefit or pension we will need to see proof, for example a notification letter.

Proof of savings and investments

We will need to see your last 2 full months bank statements for all accounts, passbooks or certificates showing all savings and investments.

Proof of rent

This can be one of the following;

  • Rent account
  • Tenancy agreement
  • Rent book with a letter from your landlord
  • Rent proof form (obtainable from the Benefits Section) or from the link at the bottom of this page

You must only provide original documents (we will not accept photocopies)
If you do not supply all of this information, it will mean that we cannot award any benefit or your claim may be delayed.

What will happen then?

A decision will be made on your claim within 3 working days.

Office opening times:

Monday to Thursday - 8.45am to 5.00pm
Friday - 8.45am to 4.30pm