Walking has many benefits. It can improve your health and well being, the local economy by increasing footfall in our town centres, and air quality by reducing congestion.
The aim of Feet First is to promote walking as the norm for short journeys, or as part of a longer journey, and create the context for change over a number of years so that people have direct, easy, safe, and pleasant routes encouraging them to want to walk to school, shops, work and public transport links as well as for leisure purposes.
Feet First hopes to:
1. Provide information, signage, leaflets etc to maximise potential for walking
2. Begin the process of change to infrastructure to improve walking routes
3. Ensure that the benefits of encouraging more people to walk are embedded across a wider range of organisations
4. Provide opportunities, stimulus and rewards for walking
5. Identify and co-ordinate resources to make the urban realm more walking-friendly
The campaign aims to remove barriers to walking, real as well as perceived, and to encourage people of all ages and physical abilities to embed walking into their daily lives. We want to take the project forward by involving communities right across the District.
Feet First will focus on promoting all forms of walking whilst looking at ways of identifying additional resources to bring about improvements to our infrastructure which will make walking easier in future.
We cannot do this alone, however, as providing new pedestrian routes, or making existing links more attractive, can involve substantial investment so we will be working with Hampshire County Council and other organisations, like Living Streets, to take this forward.
Where opportunities arise we will also encourage new developments to be designed so that they maximise the potential for walking.
We will also build on the work already carried out in developing the Winchester and Hampshire Walking Strategies and the Creating a More Walkable Winchester Workshop (September 2015) drawing on local and national policy and research while also encouraging groups in the other towns and villages in the district to prepare their own strategies.
If you would like to get involved or find out more about the Feet First campaign, email NLawrence@winchester.gov.uk.
- Casual Games for City Walkers Free downloadable games for walkers with any level of experience.
- Quiz Trail Download the QuizTrail app and start exploring Winchester.
- Useful links This section contains links to walks for all abilities which currently exist in the District.
- Winchester City Twin Peaks Sunday 4 September 2016. Join the Ramblers for a 3 or 5 mile walk.