Winchester City Council’s Apprenticeship Programme is killing two birds with one stone: bringing young people with fresh ideas into local government, and helping members of our community get their first experience of work.
Our apprenticeship scheme is comprehensive and exciting, offering a valuable alternative career path to college or university. As part of the Hampshire Apprentice Partnership our approach provides the following key components:
- Workplace experience, developing knowledge of real careers and earning a wage
- Nationally-recognised qualification, with no fee or debt
- Skills Programme, enhancing personal development
- Community projects involvement, benefiting our community
Cllr Stephen Godfrey said:
I am a great supporter of our apprenticeship scheme. It gives young people a first step on the career ladder and a valuable qualification. I am delighted that more than half of our apprentices are staying with us in permanent jobs.
We hope our experience will encourage other organisations and small- to medium-sized businesses within the District to recruit and train young people, and that our grant scheme helps apprentices who are struggling to meet those initial costs of entering the working world.
Contact our apprentices:
- Apprenticeship FAQs Some general information about apprenticeships
- Apprenticeships at Winchester City Council What an apprenticeship is, and what we offer
- Case study: current apprentice James Roberts James is currently an apprentice at Winchester City Council working on Business Innovation & Growth Level 5.
- Case study: former apprentice Charlotte Nelson Charlotte, 22, was looking for options other than university when her mum showed her information about apprenticeships at Winchester City Council. Just three years later, Charlotte is a full-time member of staff in the Communications department.
- Grant for Apprentices A small grant scheme designed to support apprentices in the Winchester District by covering some of the basic costs, such as transport or essential clothing/equipment, which might otherwise be difficult to finance.
- National Apprenticeship Service Find out more about apprenticeships and search for apprentice vacancies
- Past and Present Projects Our apprentices' past and present projects
- Photo library A documentation of the apprentices and their projects
- Press Releases A list of press releases that include the apprentices and/or their projects
- Vacancies Details of the current apprenticeship vacancies within the Council.